So 2016 has come and gone. I have taken only one reading challenge for 2016 and that was reading a book per week and that’s around 52 books in 2016. In the end, I did a decent job. I completed 37 books (*) and quite a few books remain unfinished.
I plan to take the similar challenge in 2017 too. But in that, I plan to read 20 novels nominated for Best Mystery and Thriller category award in Goodreads 2016.
In Fantasy category, I have only read Harry Potter and the cursed Child which has actually won the best novel award in that category. Surprisingly, for me, since I have rated that novel one star even though I am huge Harry Potter fan.
So it made me think it is the time I need to review Goodreads award. I can’t take all the categories but I can take Mystery and Thriller category for a start. Why not fantasy category? Apparently, most of the novels listed are sequels. So I may run out of patience reading so many novels before coming to the novel which is actually listed.
So here is the ranking of the novels according to votes the novels received in the Mystery and Thriller Category. I will be starting from lowest to highest rank novels.
- End of Watch – Stephen King – 42382 Votes.
- A Great Reckoning – Louise Penny – 23038 Votes.
- The Woman in Cabin 10 – Ruth Ware – 21621 Votes.
- Brotherhood in Death – J.D.Robb – 20475 Votes.
- Behind Closed Doors – B.A.Paris – 18764 Votes.
- Before the Fall – Noah Hawley – 17496 Votes.
- The Trespasser – Tana French – 17201 Votes.
- All The Missing Girls – Megan Miranda – 16683 Votes.
- Fool me once – Harlan Coben – 15308 Votes (Already read – 3 star – Recommended novel).
- The Couple Next Door – Shari Lapena – 13620 Votes.
- The Last Mile – David Baldacci – 5801 Votes.
- The Black Widow – Daniel Silva – 5477 Votes.
- The Widow – Fiona Barton – 4706 Votes.
- The Vanishing Year – Kate Moretti – 2938 Votes.
- The Girl in the Ice – Robert Bryndza – 2846 Votes.
- The Kept Woman – Karin slaughter – 2191 Votes.
- In to the Light – Aleatha Romig – 1930 Votes.
- Play dead – Angela Marsons – 1911 Votes.
- The Queens Accomplice – Susan Elia Macneal – 1261 Votes.
- Redemption Road – John Hart – 941 Votes.
The obvious fault with the Goodreads award is that most of the novels are less popularly known to people hence votes to those novels would be obviously less. My intention is to check how far the ranking drifts from real quality of the novels.
You can join me in this review by choosing your own category and publishing the review with me. Just let me know by contacting me or commenting below.
Note – * – In 37 books I have counted some books multiple times if they exceed 400 pages. While deciding a book per week I have assumed that I can read or get time to read around 400 pages per week. Technically I have read 29 books in 2016.